Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Nutrition - Carbs


Oh carbohydrates, how I love thee...

Carbohydrates are the building blocks of any diet, good or bad. They are the source of most of your energy. Many have tried a low carb diet and it is considered an easy way to lose weight. A low carb plan is a hard plan to stick to, and you will typically gain any weight back once you start eating carbs again, and maybe even gain more than you lost in the first place. Try to eat a moderate amount of healthy carbohydrates made up of vegetables, fruits and whole grains. What you're trying to do is make healthy eating a normal part of your lifestyle, not try another diet.

Fiber is a part of every plant and is a very important part of your diet. Fiber refers to the part of the plant that can't be digested and therefore helps food move at a faster pace through your intestines. You don't want a bunch of food sitting around in your intestines! Adults need about 20 to 30 grams of fiber every day. Most people do not get that much.

I try to get my fiber from whole food sources like fruits and vegetables. I also like lentils, beans, brown rice, nuts, and oatmeal. I am trying to be more adventurous in the cooking and eating department this year, it's a goal and I'll let you know how it goes. I really like Fiber One and Fiber One Caramel Delight, but try not to eat it too often as it's not "real food". It is "really good" though. I haven't tried these Honey Clusters but may have to soon. I stocked up on the caramel when it was about a dollar a box at Winco, usually they're over 4 dollars - CRAZY! So when they're all gone, maybe I'll venture to the Honey Clusters, or maybe I will have learned how to make some kind of amazing quinoa salad by then, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment